How your podiatrist in Stamford can help with bunion pain
If you are suffering from bunion pain, you’re not alone. Bunions are a common foot problem, especially for women. A bunion appears as a hard, bony lump right next to your big toe. Bunions are caused by wearing shoes that cramp your toes, causing your big toe to bend. Your toe joint rubs against the inside of your shoe, and the friction causes a bunion. High heels add to the problem by pushing your foot forward. Bunions can also be caused by overpronation or rolling your feet when you walk.
Fortunately, there are ways to get relief from bunion pain. Dr. Peter Siroka in Stamford, CT, wants to share how to eliminate bunions and bunion pain.
At home, you can try a few simple remedies which can help including:
- Taping your toe to support and cushion the bunion
- Wearing cushions, wedges, or pads in your shoes to reduce friction
If home remedies don’t provide relief, and your bunion is large and painful, you need the services of an expert. Your podiatrist will take x-rays to determine the level of bone involvement and the best treatment option for you. Dr. Siroka may suggest:
- Custom-fit night splints or orthotics to help realign your toe
- Cortisone injections around the toe joint to reduce swelling and pain
- Physical therapy and stretching to increase mobility and flexibility
If your bunion has a large amount of bone involvement, surgery may be indicated. There are two basic types of bunion surgery:
- Head procedures to realign the big toe joint and fix it in place with screws or pins
- Base procedures to realign the bone behind or close to the big toe joint
For more detailed information and facts about bunion surgery, please visit the Bunion Surgery section on the website at https://www.petersirokapodiatrist.com/bunion-surgery-stamford-ct.html
Don’t be sidelined by painful bunions. You can get relief by just picking up the phone and calling your podiatrist, Dr. Siroka in Stamford, CT. Call today and get relief from your bunion pain!